Memorial services for slain MIT officer Sean Collier this week
|04.23.13 at 10:21 am ET|
One day after Tuesday’s private funeral in Stoneham for slain MIT Police officer Sean Collier, MIT will hold a memorial service Wednesday on its Cambridge campus. Vice president Joe Biden and law enforcement personnel from across the country are among those expected to attend Wednesday’s noontime service at Briggs Field. Only law enforcement and members of the MIT community may attend, according to the school, which expects about 10,000 attendees. MIT canceled classes for the day.
Collier, 26, was shot multiple times in his vehicle last Thursday night, allegedly by the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.
“We grieve with his family, his many friends and his fellow MIT Police officers,” MIT president Rafaek Reif wrote in an e-mail to the school community. “Many at MIT knew and loved Officer Sean Collier; for those who didn’t, he was someone we could all wish to have had the opportunity to know.”
The Collier family requested that donations be made in Sean’s memory to the Jimmy Fund. His sister, Jennifer Lemmerman, said that Sean was inspired after listening to the WEEI Jimmy Fund Radio-Telethon a number of years ago and later signed up to make regular automatic donations.
“They just told stories of these children that were fighting for their lives and their families, and Sean was just so impacted by that,” Lemmerman said during an appearance on NBC’s “Today” show. “He went home and made a donation. He’s just this high school kid, he had no money, but he made a small donation, what he could do.
“Then he set up a recurring payment from his own account to make regular donations to the Jimmy Fund, and he did that until the day he died. So, we wanted to carry that on for him.”
MIT also plans to create a Sean A. Collier Memorial Fund to support a Collier Medal that will be awarded to individuals who demonstrate Collier’s values.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’