Monday’s Morning Mashup: Boston writer denies LeBron James unanimous MVP
|05.06.13 at 7:51 am ET|
MONDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NHL playoffs: Bruins at Maple Leafs, 7 p.m. (NESN, NHL Network)
NHL playoffs: Capitals at Rangers, 7:30 p.m. (NBCSN)
NHL playoffs: Ducks at Red Wings, 8 p.m. (CNBC)
NHL playoffs: Blues at Kings, 10 p.m. (NBCSN)
NBA playoffs: Bulls at Heat, 7 p.m. (TNT)
NBA playoffs: Warriors at Spurs, 9:30 p.m. (TNT)
MLB: Twins at Red Sox, 7:10 p.m. (NESN Plus; WEEI-FM)
MLB: Braves at Reds, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ LeBron James received 120 out of a possible 121 first-place votes to win his fourth NBA MVP award, setting off a search to find out who could have considered the Heat star unworthy.
During Sunday’s award ceremony at Miami’s AmericanAirlines Arena, James — the only player this year to lead his team in scoring (26.8), rebounding (8.0) and assists (7.3) — offered his opinion.
“It’s probably a writer out of New York that didn’t give me the vote,” he said. “I know the history between the Heat and the Knicks, So, I get it.”
As it turns out, the renegade writer was Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe. Washburn voted for Carmelo Anthony first, and in a column Monday he attempted to justify his decision, claiming that Anthony was more valuable to the Knicks than James was to the Heat. Washburn wrote that he was “flabbergasted” to learn that he stood alone in his thinking.
For his part, Anthony agreed with the 120 writers who determined James deserved his fourth MVP in five years (Celtics legend Bill Russell is the only other player to accomplish that feat).
“LeBron gets it, I take my hat off to him, he deserves it,” Anthony said. “They had a hell of a year, to win 27 straight games, a hell of an achievement.”
However, added Anthony: “I’ll take that vote.”
Anthony didn’t even finish second, as he was well behind runner-up Kevin Durant. Nine writers or broadcasters did not include Anthony on their ballots.
♦ A Utah soccer referee who was punched in the head by a 17-year-old player a week ago died Saturday night, according to police. Ricardo Portillo, 46, suffered swelling in his brain after the assault and had been in critical condition for a week.
Portillo had given a yellow card to the teenager, a goalie in a recreational league, when the player started arguing and then threw a punch to Portillo’s head. The referee, who complained of dizziness and vomited blood, was taken to a hospital, where he slipped into a coma.
The teenager was booked into juvenile detention on suspicion of aggravated assault. There could be additional charges following Portillo’s death.
♦ The Shaquille O’Neal-Jose Canseco feud — the two supposedly were going to have a boxing match at one point last year — was reignited over the weekend, after Canseco sent out a simple tweet to to Shaq that read: hey pussy.
Responded O’Neal: ill beat your ass rat boy the whole world saw u run from hung man Choy. Set it up ill break your jaw #snitchesgetstitches
Added Shaq: u gonna need more than steroids to help u when I smack the rat fur off yo ass #snitchesgetstitches pt 2
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA (answer below): On May 6, 2000, Pedro Martinez struck out 17 batters, but the Red Sox were blanked and dropped a 1-0 decision to which team?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Not many people are as good as I am. I just close my eyes and swing hard. That’s my approach.” – Red Sox catcher David Ross, joking after hitting a home run — making four of his nine hits this season homers — during Sunday’s 4-3 loss to the Rangers
STAT OF THE DAY: 11 – Years since the Islanders have won a home playoff game, with Sunday’s 5-4 overtime loss in Game 3 of their first-round playoff series vs. the Penguins their latest setback
‘NET RESULTS (mobile users, check the website to see the videos): The frustrated Canadiens, down 2-1 in the series vs. the Senators after Sunday’s Game 3 loss, start a line brawl, and it doesn’t go well for Montreal.
TRIVIA ANSWER: The Devils Rays, who got a three-hitter from Steve Trachsel
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Bob Seger was born on this day in 1945.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’