Monday’s Morning Mashup: Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez cleared for return to game action
|06.24.13 at 7:56 am ET|
MONDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
Stanley Cup finals: Blackhawks at Bruins, 8 p.m. (NBC)
MLB: Giants at Dodgers, 10 p.m. (ESPN2)
College baseball: World Series, Mississippi State vs. UCLA, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
Soccer: U-20 World Cup, France vs. United States, 10:45 a.m. (ESPN2)
Tennis: Wimbledon, 7 a.m. (ESPN)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, who has missed the entire season while rehabbing following hip surgery in January, got clearance from his doctors to return to game action a week from Monday and is expected to join the team’s Single-A affiliate in Tampa, according to a report in the New York Daily News.
“It sounds like it’s on schedule,” general manager Brian Cashman told the Daily News, without pinpointing a date for A-Rod’s return. “He’s been running, throwing, fielding, and I know it’s approaching. It’s coming.”
Cashman said he expects Rodriguez will move up through the team’s minor league system over the course of about 20 games.
Meanwhile, A-Rod still has the cloud of the Biogenesis PED investigation hanging over his head. Rodriguez has denied being treated or advised by controversial “biochemist” Anthony Bosch, despite documents linking the player to Bosch’s since-closed facility.
Cashman said the team will let the league determine what happens next.
“All we can do is rehab the player,” Cashman said. “We 110 percent support the commissioner’s efforts. Their efforts are our efforts. Anyone guilty of cheating the game needs to go down, whether they’re a Yankee or not a Yankee. It’ll get resolved one way or the other. We’re waiting. All we can do is play the players we have.”
♦ The family of an inebriated man who was ejected from a Bills game last November and then drowned after falling into a creek near the stadium disclosed plans to sue Erie County, the County Sheriff’s Office and Orchard Park police. The family claims the county was negligent for letting David Gerken Jr. walk away from the stadium while he was drunk.
The 26-year-old was at the Bills-Dolphins game on Nov. 15 with family when he was ejected for disorderly conduct and escorted from the stadium. Police say that around 1 a.m. he fell on a slope and into a stream, where he drowned.
The Bills were not named in the Notice of Claim filed by the family.
♦ Miami will celebrate its NBA champion Heat on Monday with a parade that ends in front of AmericanAirlines Arena, where the Heat beat the Spurs in Game 7 on Thursday night. An estimated 400,000 fans turned out for the team’s 2012 championship parade.
Fans will not be allowed to carry backpacks, a trend for major events following the Boston Marathon bombings in April.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA (answer below): On June 24, 1995, the NBA held an expansion draft for the Toronto Raptors and Vancouver (now Memphis) Grizzlies. The Celtics lost which player, a center drafted 19th overall in 1993 who went on to play 1 1/2 seasons for the Raptors and nine games for the Bucks before dropping out of the NBA?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “It’s not the best situation for either team. But it’s a tough sport, and injuries happen. When you leave it all out there to help your team win, that’s all part of the game.” – Bruins goalie Tuukka Rask, on injured stars Patrice Bergeron and Jonathan Toews
STAT OF THE DAY: 11 – Consecutive wins for the Blue Jays, a team record, after Sunday’s 13-5 rout of the Orioles
‘NET RESULTS (mobile users, check the website to see the videos): At Wimbledon, Novak Djokovic does his Maria Sharapova imitation while warming up with Sharapova’s boyfriend, Grigor Dimitrov.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Acie Earl
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Jeff Beck was born on this day in 1944.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’