Yankees’ Derek Jeter out until after All-Star break after straining quad in first game back
|07.12.13 at 6:55 pm ET|
It didn’t take long for Derek Jeter to make an impact in his season debut Thursday, an 8-4 Yankees win over the Royals on a picture-perfect day in the Bronx, and it took only a little longer for him to get hurt — yes, again.
In the eighth inning, Jeter, handling designated hitting duties in his first game back after missing the first three-plus months of the season with a broken ankle originally sustained during the ALCS last October, exited the game with right quadriceps tightness in favor of pinch-hitter Brett Gardner.
General manager Brian Cashman told reporters Friday afternoon that Jeter has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 quad strain and will sit out the weekend, which, when paired with the All-Star break immediately after, the team hopes will allow the 39-year-old to avoid another trip to the disabled list.
Cashman also didn’t rule out a longer absence, though.
The Yankees captain finished Thursday 1-for-4 with an RBI. He started with a one-out infield single to third, moved to third on Robinson Cano‘s base knock to center, then scored on Vernon Wells‘ sacrifice fly one batter later.
Jeter played in just four games with Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre before returning to the big leagues, collecting one hit and four walks in 13 plate appearances.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’