Monday’s Morning Mashup: Broncos’ Dan Koppen out for season with torn ACL
|07.29.13 at 8:03 am ET|
MONDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
MLB: Rays at Red Sox, 6:10 p.m. (NESN; WEEI-FM)
MLB: Angels at Rangers, 7:05 p.m. (ESPN)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Center Dan Koppen, who was preparing for his second season with the Broncos after nine seasons in New England, tore the ACL in his left knee Sunday during practice and will not play this season.
“You always cringe. You never like to see anybody that’s injured severely,” Broncos coach John Fox said. “But you understand … it happens.”
The Boston College product signed a one year-deal worth $940,000 with the Broncos last month after Denver lost J.D. Walton for at least the first two months of the season following a setback in his recovery from a dislocated ankle.
Koppen, 33, started 13 games last season, after starting 119 games for the Patriots from 2003-11.
Sunday night the Broncos signed free agent center Steve Vallos, who is expected to compete for the job with Manny Ramirez, a guard who has taken snaps at center this offseason.
♦ When closer Jonathan Papelbon left the Red Sox to sign a four-year, $50 million deal with the Phillies after the 2011 season, he expected big things. Neither he nor the team has delivered.
The Phillies, who finished last season at 81-81, lost their eighth straight game Sunday, with the 12-4 loss to the Tigers dropping them to 49-56, a season-worst seven games under .500. Papelbon is 2-0 with a 2.21 ERA and 20 saves in 25 chances.
“I definitely didn’t come here for this,” Papelbon said, via MLB.com.
The outspoken right-hander has been the subject of trade rumors the past two months, but he said he doesn’t want to leave Philadelphia — unless this season is a sign of things to come.
“No, I would like to stay here,” he said. “But if I’m going to have to put up with this year after year, then no, I don’t to he here. Why would you? Why would anybody?”
Papelbon said the Phillies might need an overhaul similar to the one that happened in Boston last year.
“It’s going to take, in my opinion, a lot,” he said. “And in my opinion, I think it’s going to have to be something very similar to what the Red Sox went through a couple years ago. From top to bottom.”
And if part of Philadelphia’s overhaul includes moving Papelbon, he said he’ll accept that decision.
“That’s part of it,” he said. “That’s part of the business. If you want to go in a different direction and I’m not a piece of that puzzle, so be it. This is a job. There are no feelings in this game. I left [Boston]. Carl [Crawford] left. [Josh] Beckett left. Adrian [Gonzalez] left. Now look at them.”
♦ Marlins hitting coach Tino Martinez resigned following the team’s game Sunday, following accusations that he has regularly been verbally abusing players and had a physical altercation with one of them.
The former Yankees first baseman, in his first year in Miami — and reportedly a candidate for the Red Sox’ opening this past offseason — admitted that he grabbed rookie second baseman Derek Dietrich by the front of his jersey in early May and “overreacted” in his interactions with the team’s younger players.
“I want to apologize to the Marlins organization for my behavior,” Martinez said. “I have made some comments to certain players at certain times that I thought was more constructive criticism. Obviously, they didn’t feel that way, and it kind of backfired on me.”
Added Martinez: “I just thought with some young players you needed to be a little firmer and try to get them on the right track. I probably used some four-letter words. I thought I was doing the right thing. Obviously, I wasn’t.”
The Miami Herald quoted an unnamed player as saying Martinez, 45, has been an issue since spring training.
“It’s all shocked everybody,” the player said. “He uses intimidation. It’s been a problem since Day 1.”
Martinez, whose Marlins rank last in the majors in runs, home runs, batting and slugging, said he hasn’t decided whether he’ll try to coach again.
“I don’t know long term how it’s going to affect me,” Martinez said. “Right now I’m disappointed in myself. I’m embarrassed. Right now I’m not worried about the future. I just want to make sure my family is OK.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA (answer below): On July 29, 1988, the Red Sox traded Brady Anderson and Curt Schilling to the Orioles for which player?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “After taking it out on the phone … he took it out on the baseball today. It was good to see.” – Red Sox manager John Farrell, on David Ortiz, who homered in the Sunday’s 5-0 victory over the Orioles a day after being ejected and smashing the dugout phone
STAT OF THE DAY: 9 – Games the Yankees had gone without a home run before Derek Jeter, in his first pitch back from the disabled list, drove the ball over the fence in right-center as part of New York’s 6-5 victory over the Rays at Yankee Stadium
‘NET RESULTS (mobile users, check the website to see the videos): The Arena Football League’s Utah Blaze pay tribute to professional wrestling with a creative touchdown celebration.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Pitcher Mike Boddicker
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Geddy Lee of Rush was born on this day in 1953.
- Mike on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- depo on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Jeter_Cheats on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Chris on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Herb on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- the truth on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- shutiggyupdotcom on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Otis on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Sicko on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- BillyB on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners