Robinson Cano reportedly seeking 10-year, $305 million contract
|09.26.13 at 2:11 pm ET|
Just a day after being eliminated from playoff contention, the Yankees were dealt another rough reality check, as ESPN.com reported that New York slugger Robinson Cano is seeking a 10-year, $305 million contract this offseason.
A $305 million contact would match the amount of money owed to Alex Rodriguez from his 2007 contract with New York if he achieved all of his incentives.
According to ESPN, sources close to Cano believe that the 30-year-old second baseman will accept the biggest offer given to him this winter, even if it is not the Yankees.
“I haven’t decided anything yet,” Cano said. “But don’t get me wrong. I love this team, you know?
Despite playing in the Bronx his entire career, Cano said that it’s up in the air in regards to whether he will be back next season.
“Oh yeah, who knows? Who know’s what’s going to happen. I’m just enjoying being here and I’m going to enjoy the last day, being here with all these guys,” Cano said. Nobody said I’m leaving; nobody said I’m staying. I haven’t decided anything yet. Let’s see what happens after the World Series.”
Cano was arguably the best player on the New York roster this season, hitting .315 with 27 home runs and 107 RBIs.
A five-time All Star, Cano has averaged 28 home runs and 102 RBIs over the last five seasons and holds a career batting average of .309.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’