Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Ravens LB Terrell Suggs doesn’t like Tom Brady’s ‘smug attitude’
|10.02.13 at 7:48 am ET|
WEDNESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
MLB playoffs: Rays at Indians, 8 p.m. (TBS; WEEI-FM)
NHL: Sabres at Red Wings, 8 p.m. (NBCSN)
Soccer: UEFA Champions League, Manchester United vs. Shakhtar Donetsk, 2:30 p.m. (FS1)
AROUND THE WEB:
• Terrell Suggs is at it again. The Ravens linebacker, who has a long history of criticizing the Patriots, was interviewed recently for an ESPN “E:60″ feature that aired Tuesday night, and he didn’t hold back when discussing his disdain for Tom Brady.
“I don’t like him. He don’t like me,” Suggs said, as part of the same interview in which he accused NFL commissioner Roger Goodell of orchestrating the power outage during last season’s Super Bowl in an attempt to take away momentum from Baltimore. “I don’t like his hair. I don’t know. I don’t like his smug attitude. But then again, he probably doesn’t like my [expletive] attitude. … Everybody just seems to worship the guy, not me, though.”
Suggs was at his most obnoxious following the Ravens’ victory over the Patriots in the AFC championship game in January. The following month, he said that he “guarantees the other 31 teams hate the New England Patriots.”
The Ravens, off to a 2-2 start, host the Patriots in the penultimate week of the season.
• Canadiens enforcer George Parros suffered a concussion in Tuesday’s season-opening loss to the visiting Maple Leafs when his chin hit the ice as he and Colton Orr lost their balance during a fight.
Parros was motionless on the ice for several minutes before being taken off on a stretcher and going to the hospital. He later tweeted: Thanks for the well wishes everyone #classyfollowers
“You never want to see a guy get hurt like that,” Orr said. “It was a scary situation. I just hope he’s all right.
“It happened fast. I slipped, and he came on top of me. The ice isn’t going to give.”
The incident revived the debate about fighting in hockey.
“I don’t think saying because a player got hurt in a fight that now we have to talk about taking fight away,” Canadiens defenseman Josh Gorges said. “I bet that if you ask George, he’ll be the first to agree with me on that one, too.”
• Former NFL quarterback Bernie Kosar was arrested for DUI on Sunday in Solon, Ohio, and he blamed football injuries for his inability to perform parts of a field sobriety test.
According to the arresting officer, Kosar said he could not perform the one-leg stand or walk-and-turn tests because of surgeries on his knees and ankles due to the fact that his offensive line “couldn’t block.”
Kosar, 49, is due in court for a pretrial hearing on Dec. 9. He previously has blamed head injuries from his NFL career for affecting his speech and making him slur his words on occasion. He also battled an addiction to pain medication.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA (answer below): On Oct. 2, 1978, the Red Sox lost to the Yankees, 5-4, in a playoff game to decide the American League East champion. Who was the losing pitcher for the Sox?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “It’s such a disappointment to lose him. He’s irreplaceable. We’ll have to find a way collectively as a team fill the void. But it’s an unfortunate injury. Injuries are a part of the game. But the season-ending ones are always tough to swallow.” — Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, during his Tuesday morning appearance on Dennis & Callahan, talking about teammate Vince Wilfork
STAT OF THE DAY: 3 – Teams for whom Russell Martin has homered in the postseason, making him the first catcher to accomplish that feat, as the Pirates slugger went deep in Tuesday’s 6-2 victory over the Reds in the National League wild card playoff
‘NET RESULTS (mobile users, check the website to see the videos): Reds third baseman Todd Frazier falls into the camera well making a catch in Tuesday’s wild card playoff loss to the Pirates.
Jaguars mascot Jaxson DeVille gets pelted with paintballs from 10 yards after losing a bet with the Colts mascot over which team would win Sunday’s game.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Mike Torrez
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Don McLean was born on this day in 1945.
- 3A on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Broncos WR Wes Welker suffers second concussion in 4 weeks
- Mike on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Broncos WR Wes Welker suffers second concussion in 4 weeks
- Tony on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Mike on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- depo on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Jeter_Cheats on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Chris on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Herb on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- the truth on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- shutiggyupdotcom on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners