Mike Lombardi out as Browns GM in front-office shakeup
|02.11.14 at 10:42 am ET|
One year after being hired as Browns general manager, Mike Lombardi was replaced by assistant GM Ray Farmer as part of an overhaul of the team’s front office announced Tuesday.
The team said CEO Joe Banner will step down in the next couple of months. Banner was hired in 2012 after Jimmy Haslam won approval from the league to purchase the team.
“First of all, we wanted to capitalize on the knowledge, experience and character we’re fortunate to have in Ray Farmer,” Haslam said in a statement. “Ray has a tremendous football IQ, he’s compelling, and he understands the types of players we need to acquire and develop in order to win in Cleveland. He embraces his partnership with Mike Pettine, which is critical in helping build the right team. Ray will provide excellent leadership in our front office.”
Added Haslam: “We’re also grateful for Mike Lombardi’s efforts and commitment since rejoining our organization. He is an experienced and creative NFL executive with a unique ability to see the big picture. He has tremendous instincts and I know he’ll be a valuable addition to any NFL organization. We simply wanted to give Ray this opportunity that he’s earned. We wanted to move forward under his leadership and capabilities.”
The Browns last month hired Mike Pettine as coach following the firing of Rob Chudzinski after one season.
“The purpose of these moves is to unify our team with one, unequivocal goal: Provide our fans with the winning organization they have long deserved,” Haslam said in a statement.
- Tony Franco on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Yankees CF Jacoby Ellsbury ‘can’t worry’ about reaction he’ll receive at Fenway Park
- Branden Findeisen on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Yankees CF Jacoby Ellsbury ‘can’t worry’ about reaction he’ll receive at Fenway Park
- Herb Bouley on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Yankees CF Jacoby Ellsbury ‘can’t worry’ about reaction he’ll receive at Fenway Park
- Dave Schock on Meb Keflezighi first American to win Boston Marathon in 31 years
- on Meb Keflezighi first American to win Boston Marathon in 31 years
- Michelle Miki Garry on Boston Marathon live blog
- Keith F Hadayia on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Mets’ Daisuke Matsuzaka solid in new role as reliever
- Herb Bouley on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Another Aaron Hernandez associate indicted in relation to murder case
- Jamie Farias on Marathon survivor Jeff Bauman on D&C: ‘People aren’t scared, and we’ve just grown stronger’
- Chris Balzer on Man arraigned for allegedly planting hoax bomb at Marathon finish line