College Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Could decision on Tom Brady’s appeal be upon us? Glenn Ordway thinks so 07.14.15 at 4:10 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Could decision on Tom Brady’s appeal be upon us? Glenn Ordway thinks so

Is the big news about to break?

Appearing on Dennis & Callahan Tuesday morning, Glenn Ordway said that according to one of his sources there was a very good possibility that the decision regarding Tom Brady‘s appeal coming down either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Ordway, who correctly revealed when the Wells Report would be released, suggested at various times throughout D&C Tuesday (including at the 4:47 mark of the above audio) that it was his understanding that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was ready to announce his findings when it came to whether or not the four-game suspension handed down to Brady would be upheld.

When do you think the decision on Tom Brady's appeal will be announced?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Yankees make deal to acquire ball from Alex Rodriguez’s 3,000th hit 07.03.15 at 1:47 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Yankees make deal to acquire ball from Alex Rodriguez’s 3,000th hit

After a couple of weeks of negotiations, the Yankees will hold a press conference before Friday’s game against the Rays at Yankee Stadium in which they will receive the ball Alex Rodriguez hit into the right-field bleachers for his 3,000th hit last month.

Zach Hample, the fan who caught the ball, agreed to relinquish it in exchange for a $150,000 donation to his favorite charity, Pitch In For Baseball, along with some memorabilia, tickets and other perks, according to reports out of New York.

Hample, who claims to have caught thousands of baseballs during games and batting practice over the years, was not cooperative with the team when first contacted during the June 19 game against the Tigers after Rodriguez recorded his historic hit.

Hample answered some critics of his decision to settle with the team when he tweeted Friday morning: So let me get this straight — I was “disrespecting the game” when I kept the ball & now I’m an “idiot” for giving it back? Ha, whatever.

Read More: alex rodriguez,
Report: FBI investigating Cardinals for hacking Astros’ internal networks 06.16.15 at 11:18 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Report: FBI investigating Cardinals for hacking Astros’ internal networks

According to a New York Times report, the FBI is investigating the Cardinals for hacking into the internal networks of the Astros to steal closely guarded information about player personnel.

The report says the Cardinals got a hold of a network which housed special databases the team had built. Internal discussions about trades, proprietary statistics and scouting reports were compromised.

Major League Baseball “€œhas been aware of and has fully cooperated with the federal investigation into the illegal breach of the Astros’€™ baseball operations database,”€ a spokesman for baseball’€™s commissioner, Rob Manfred, said in a written statement to the paper.

It is believed the hacking stemmed from vengeful front-office employees for the Cardinals hoping to “wreak havoc” on the work of general manager Jeff Luhnow, who is now with the Astros after being in the Cardinals’ organization until 2011.

No Cardinals team employees have been disciplined for the matter as of now.

Read More: Houston Astros, St. Louis Cardinals,
American Pharoah becomes first horse to win Triple Crown since 1978 06.06.15 at 6:59 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on American Pharoah becomes first horse to win Triple Crown since 1978

The drought is over. American Pharoah won Saturday’s Belmont Stakes to become the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years. American Pharoah, with jockey Victor Espinoza on his back, led the race from the start and pulled away from the field down the stretch.

American Pharoah becomes the 12th horse ever to win the Triple Crown. The last to do it before him was Affirmed in 1978. That capped off a stretch that saw three horses win the Triple Crown in a six-year span, with Secretariat accomplishing the feat in 1973 and Seattle Slew doing the same in 1977.

Between Affirmed and American Pharoah, 13 horses had won the Kentucky Derby and Preakness but failed to win the Belmont, including California Chrome last year.

President of FIFA Sepp Blatter to resign 06.02.15 at 1:01 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on President of FIFA Sepp Blatter to resign
Sepp Blatter

Sepp Blatter

Four days after being re-elected as President of FIFA, Sepp Blatter announced Tuesday he will resign.

At a surprise press conference he called for “extraordinary congress” of FIFA to convene to elect his successor. He plans to continue serving in his role until his successor is named.

Blatter had 133 votes to 73 for Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan in the vote last Friday. Since no candidate won two-thirds of the vote, there was to have been a second vote in which the winner would only need a majority. However, Prince Ali, a FIFA vice president for the past four years, conceded defeat and withdrew.

Two FIFA vice presidents and a recently elected executive committee member remained in custody during Friday’€™s election. They are fighting extradition to the United States, where they would face corruption charges related to tournaments held in North America.

Blatter denied having any role in the alleged bribery, blaming others for embarrassing the sport and saying it was impossible to be responsible for everyone’€™s behavior.

Read More: Sepp Blatter,
Mayor Marty Walsh on D&C: ‘Zero tolerance for spending taxpayers’ money’ on stadiums, venues for Boston 2024 05.28.15 at 9:02 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Mayor Marty Walsh on D&C: ‘Zero tolerance for spending taxpayers’ money’ on stadiums, venues for Boston 2024
Martin Walsh

Martin Walsh

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh joined Dennis & Callahan Thursday morning to talk about Boston 2024, specifically taxpayers’ money when it relates to the Olympics potentially coming to Boston. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.

A report obtained by the Boston Business Journal highlights the need for public spending for the games to come to Boston. Walsh tried to clarify the report Thursday.

“What the report was based on the document that was submitted to the USOC for the Olympics to come to Boston, it’s based on a concept,” said Walsh. “The final bid that would be put in, which would be I think December or January, that is going to be the actual plan with what is going to be put forth. In that actual plan is going to have to spell out how you’re actually going to pay for the venues, and where the venues are going to be located and how the financing would work.”

Walsh then went on to explain his view on taxpayers’ money and how it will be used.

“I have zero tolerance for spending taxpayers’ money on building stadiums or building venues for the Olympics,” Walsh said. “Now as far as infrastructure, I view that differently. The reason why I view that differently is regardless of where the venues are in the City of Boston, if we improve the infrastructure whether it is the roads, a side walk, a crosswalk, lighting, whatever the case may be, that is something that is beneficial to residents of our city, or even if there is a venue outside of Boston. Let’s say there is a venue in another city in Massachusetts, and there is infrastructure there — those infrastructure improvements are beneficial short term and long term for the residents of that area. That is money that should have been spent.

“When I look at the MBTA, I see an opportunity here — let’s assume we get the Olympics, and [in] 2017 they announce Boston as the Olympic city and we’re going to move forward — now we have a date of 2024 that we need to make sure that the MBTA is running properly, is upgraded, is state of the art because of the volume of people that will want to be moving around the city and the Commonwealth. We need to have a reliable transportation system. That forces us, and that forces all of us to work together to improve the MBTA.

“If we don’t get the Olympics, what I am afraid of with the MBTA is [what we] are having [this winter] in 2024 — we’re having the same conversation we had this year [that] we had in 2010 when we did some legislation in the state house and in 1997. Two other times we were working to fix the MBTA. This gives us an end date that we need to make it move forward. The conversation of the Olympics over the next two years allows us, Boston, to go around the world and promote our city on a world stage. Whether or not we get the Olympics or not, there’s a benefit for us to be involved in the conversation.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Boston 2024, Marty Walsh,
Grand Prix of Boston coming next year 05.22.15 at 12:20 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Grand Prix of Boston coming next year

Boston will have its first Indy Car race next Labor Day weekend.

The news was announced at an event Thursday evening at the Westin Boston Waterfront. City officials including Boston Director of Tourism, Sports and Entertainment Ken Brissette were joined by leaders of Grand Prix of Boston, with local comedian Dave Russo serving as the event’s MC.

“We’€™re very thrilled that we’€™re going to be bringing this exciting world-class event,” Grand Prix of Boston CEO Mark Pellone said to those on hand for the announcement.

The Grand Prix of Boston will take place Sept. 2-5, 2016, in Boston’€™s Seaport District.

“€œNext year, the world will be watching us here in Boston,”€ Brissette said. “€œGrand Prix is an iconic sports event tied to the host city’€™s identity. Our hope is to make this an annual event.”

The race route begins on South Boston Bypass Road and ends on D Street.

course

Boston will join St. Petersburg, Florida; Long Beach, California; and Detroit as cities with street racing in the Verizon Indy Car Series. In a video shown prior to speeches from those on hand, IndyCar CEO Mark Miles said that construction for the event would be “minimally disruptive” for inhabitants of the Seaport District.

The one major change that the group promised was on the tourism front, as Brissette noted that Labor Day is typically not a particularly strong time for tourism in the area. He noted that the event hopes to bring in 250,000 people.

“The economic impact will be huge,” Brissette said, noting the success that Houston, Indianapolis and Toronto have had.

Added Brissette: “It’€™s about time Boston gets on the map as well.”

Boston 2024 chief executive Richard Davey on D&C: ‘We’re not going to use tax payer dollars’ 05.05.15 at 8:19 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Boston 2024 chief executive Richard Davey on D&C: ‘We’re not going to use tax payer dollars’

Richard Davey, the chief executive of Boston 2014 joined Dennis & Callahan in studio Tuesday morning to discuss the status of the bid and what is to come. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.

Davey said the biggest thing right now is to convince people that there will be no tax payer dollars going towards the event, as it will be privately funded.

“We have to convince people we’re not going to use tax payer dollar for venues and operations,” said Davey. “Those are right questions, other governments do that. We haven’t produced a detailed plan yet. In the next couple months [we will] so you guys can give us feedback and we’re confident we can do that. I know you have traffic and other concerns and we can talk about that, but the number one piece is we need to assure people is we’re not going to use tax payer dollars.”

He added: “All in it’s $9 billion. The billion for security and the rest is privately funded, so it’s game operations, you get it from TV revenue, ticket sales, corporate sponsorships.”

Federal tax payers will have to cover $1 billion for security, but Davey noted they will likely apply for a national security event.

“There’s a process in place that we apply for with what is called a national security event,” Davey said. “The Olympics in 2002 got, political party conventions get that, in fact, a couple Super Bowls have as well. Guys, even if we lose the Olympics, I have news for you, we’re going to be paying for security whether it is in Paris or Rome of Hamburg. We deploy special security forces, the military to some extent, we did it in Sochi 18 months ago to protect their athletes.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Boston 2024,
Floyd Mayweather beats Manny Pacquiao on points, remains unbeaten 05.03.15 at 7:19 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Floyd Mayweather beats Manny Pacquiao on points, remains unbeaten

In the richest fight in the history of boxing, Floyd Mayweather improved to 48-0 after beating Manny Pacquiao on points Saturday night.

Two ringside judges scored the fight 116-112, while the other ruled it 118-110.

Mayweather was able to use his superior reach for much of the fight to fend off the smaller Pacquiao, who ended up chasing his opponent for much of the fight.

“I take my hat off to Manny Pacquiao. I see now why he is at the pinnacle of boxing,” Mayweather told reporters. “I knew he was going to push me, win some rounds. I wasn’t being hit with a lot of shots until I sit in a pocket and he landed a lot of shots.”

It was disclosed after the decision that Pacquiao was participating in the fight with an injured right shoulder, which he damaged around March 11 (according to promoter Bob Arum). The Nevada boxing commissioners didn’t allow Pacquiao to take an anti-inflammatory shot prior to the fight.

“The ruling tonight affected the outcome of the fight,” Arum told the media.

For a complete recap of the event, click here.

Boston Marathon bombing survivor Marc Fucarile on D&C: ‘That is a tough decision [jury has] to make’ 04.28.15 at 8:25 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Boston Marathon bombing survivor Marc Fucarile on D&C: ‘That is a tough decision [jury has] to make’
Marc Fucarile threw out the first pitch at a game at Fenway Park last year. (Darren McCollester/Getty Images)

Marc Fucarile threw out the first pitch at a game at Fenway Park last year. (Darren McCollester/Getty Images)

Boston Marathon bombing survivor Marc Fucarile joined the Dennis & Callahan show on Tuesday morning to talk about the Dzhokhar Tsarnaev trial and what his life is like two years after the tragedy. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.

The Tsarnaev trial is now in the penalty stage, with the jury deciding between life in prison or death. Fucarile says he goes back-and-forth as to he what he would like to happen.

“To be honest, I don’t know,” Fucarile said. “I really don’t know. I really don’t know what I would do. That is a tough decision they have to make. I kind of sway both ways. I think our death penalty, it’s tough. I think the way we put people down is a little too easy. We actually put dogs down like that because it’s humane. I’m undecided. I think it would be more torturous for him to sit in prison and him being a young man and having to stay there the rest of his life would be pretty torturous.

“But, at the same time, what do you actually have to do in this country to get the death penalty if this guy doesn’t get it? He terrorized the city. Dropped a bomb. Killed little Martin Richard. Killed Lingzi Lu and injured hundreds of people. And executed a cop and went on a wild chase. Hijacked a guy. What do you actually have to do to get the death penalty? That is why I kind of sway both ways. I’m undecided.”

Tsarnaev’s family is now in America as they are witnesses in the case. Taxpayers are funding their trip and accommodations while they are here, which angers many people, including Fucarile.

“I think it’s ridiculous, to be honest,” he said. “I think it’s absolutely absurd. Our country and the people that are even considering that and doing that, signing that paper work should be ashamed. This is a convicted terrorist. He got found guilty on 30 charges. He executed a police officer. Him and his brother. Their rights should be stripped of them.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Marc Fucarile,