|Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow reportedly will ask out of New York if Jets continue to bypass him||12.19.12 at 7:57 am ET|
WEDNESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NBA: Cavaliers at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (CSNNE: WEEI-FM)
NBA: Nets at Knicks, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
NBA: Bucks at Grizzlies, 9:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Cornell at Duke, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Mount St. Mary’s at Indiana, 7 p.m. (Big Ten Network)
College basketball: Xavier vs. Cincinnati, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Oregon at UTEP, 8 p.m. (CBSSN)
College basketball: North Carolina at Texas, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Oakland at West Virginia, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Souther Carolina State at Iowa, 9 p.m. (Big Ten Network)
College basketball: Mississippi at Loyola Marymount, 11 p.m. (ESPNU)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Greg McElroy was named Jets starter following Mark Sanchez‘ five-turnover performance Monday night, and apparently that’s not sitting well with Tim Tebow. According to a report from the New York Daily News, Tebow will ask to be traded or released after the season if he does not get more of an opportunity in the last two games.
Jets coach Rex Ryan said Sanchez respected the coach’s decision to bench him, but Ryan has not publicly addressed the Tebow situation.
“I want to put Greg out there,” Ryan said Tuesday. “I’m going to put Greg out there. In my opinion, that’s what’s best for our team.”
Meanwhile, a Jets fan who sent Sanchez death threats on Twitter following the team’s Monday night loss to the Titans told the New York Daily News that he wasn’t serious and doesn’t understand why people are angry about his behavior.
The man, who identified himself as 25-year-old Bravee Grandcu, said he lost $700 when Sanchez fumbled away the Jets’ chances at winning, and he claims Sanchez did it on purpose, so he tweeted:
KILL YO SELF TONIGHT! OR IMMA DO IT FOR YOU WEDNESDAY AT PRACTICE, and, DON’T COME TO PRACTICE WEDNESDAY I PROMISE YOU BULLETS EVERYWHERE. He also tweeted a picture of himself wearing a Jets hat with the message, TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT YOUR KILLER!!
Grandcu told the Daily News that he doesn’t own a gun and was never going to be violent.
“I don’t know why everyone’s making such a big deal about the death threats,” he said. “I guess it’s just because he’s Mark Sanchez and he’s famous.”
♦ The bond for Cowboys nose tackle Josh Brent, who faces a charge of intoxication manslaughter in the death of teammate Jerry Brown, was reduced from $500,000 to $100,000 on Tuesday. Brent also was ordered to wear an electronic monitor.
Brent appeared on the Cowboys sideline for Sunday’s game against the Steelers, but he will not be allowed back on the field this season, according to an ESPN report. Team owner Jerry Jones said he didn’t know about Brent’s appearance until he saw him on television. The team and the league reportedly agreed that Brent would not return.
♦ Albert Elias, a 41-year-old agent who founded Elias Sports Management and represents eight current NFL players, reportedly died while on a skiing trip.
Free agent safety Chris Harris confirmed the news on Twitter, as did a number of fellow agents.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Dec. 19, 2001, the Red Sox traded catcher Scott Hatteberg to the Rockies for a player they did not tender a contract to, making him a free agent. Two years later, they signed the same player to a one-year deal and he played for the Sox’ 2004 World Series championship team. Who is he?
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future