|Cal basketball coach Mike Montgomery reprimanded for pushing player||02.19.13 at 8:20 am ET|
University of California basketball coach Mike Montgomery was reprimanded by the Pac-12 Conference following an incident late in the second half of Sunday night’s game vs. USC, when the coach pushed leading scorer Allen Crabbe during a timeout.
Montgomery was angry that Crabbe was not running hard, and he pushed the player in the chest, yelling, “Do you want to play.” Two of Crabbe’s teammates then guided the 6-foot-6 junior away from his coach and to the tunnel toward the locker room to talk to him.
Crabbe returned to the game and scored 10 points over the final 4 1/2 minutes as Cal pulled away for a 78-68 victory.
Montgomery initially downplayed the incident before releasing a postgame statement, saying, “I have great passion for this game and tonight, I let my emotions get away from me in the heat of the moment. While my intent was to motivate our student-athletes, my behavior was inappropriate and I apologize for my actions.”
Said Crabbe after the game: “It was an emotional game at the time. He was trying to motivate me. Everything’s fine. It’s under the bridge. He’s my coach.”
Cal athletic director Sandy Barbour also released a statement, saying: “It is unacceptable for our coaches to have physical contact with student-athletes regardless of the circumstances. The second-half incident was certainly out of character for Mike Montgomery, and I am confident that something like this will not happen again.”
- Christopher Hinkson on Titans rookie Taylor Lewan to go on trial in October in fan-punching case
- Tony Giglio on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Angels mock Mariners closer Fernando Rodney during comeback
- Peter Nault on Former MLB player Luke Scott fired from Korean team after confrontation with coach
- Douglas Merrill on Former MLB player Luke Scott fired from Korean team after confrontation with coach
- Jack Kenney on Former MLB player Luke Scott fired from Korean team after confrontation with coach
- Howard Camerik on Former MLB player Luke Scott fired from Korean team after confrontation with coach
- Nathan Kirk on Former MLB player Luke Scott fired from Korean team after confrontation with coach
- Herb Bouley on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner Adam Silver says Donald Sterling might still be Clippers owner at start of next season
- Herb Bouley on LeBron James announces return to Cavaliers in Sports Illustrated piece
- Tony Nicholas on LeBron James announces return to Cavaliers in Sports Illustrated piece