|Cardinals hire Bruce Arians as coach||01.18.13 at 9:28 am ET|
The Cardinals filled the last head coaching vacancy in the NFL by hiring Indianapolis offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.
Arians, 60, served as the Colts’ interim head coach this season while Chuck Pagano was being treated for leukemia. The Colts were 9-3 with Arians at the helm, and he said that experience taught him that being a head coach is “not as hard as it’s supposed to be.”
“I think it’s all about building relationships,” Arians said. “Coaching is all about relationships. As long as it’s built on trust, loyalty, and respect, anything is possible.”
Arizona confirmed in a release on Thursday night that Arians received a four-year contract with an option for a fifth year. He replaces Ken Whisenhunt, who was fired after six seasons with the Cardinals and was named Chargers offensive coordinator on Thursday.
Arians has succeed Whisenhunt once before, when he took over for him as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator in 2007. There, he said he rewrote and simplified Whisenhunt’s playbook, a welcome statement for Cardinals fans eager for change.
The Cardinals finished 5-11 for the second time in three years this season. Arians will try to bring stability to that side of their game, especially the quarterback position, where four different players started last year.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’