|President Barack Obama picks Indiana over Louisville in NCAA tournament||03.20.13 at 12:32 pm ET|
President Barack Obama is taking a relatively safe approach to his March Madness picks, choosing Indiana to top Louisville in the title game.
In addition to those two No. 1 seeds, Obama picked second-seeded Ohio State and third-seeded Florida to fill out his Final Four.
“I’m going with Louisville. I know it’s not a surprise pick,” the president told ESPN’s Andy Katz as he wrote in his picks on a board at the White House. “And I’m going with Indiana. These are the two best teams right now. And for the championship I’m going back to the Big Ten. I think this is Indiana’s year.”
Obama picked half of last year’s Final Four correctly, choosing Ohio State and Kentucky, but North Carolina, his choice for the national title, lost in the Elite Eight.
Obama also filled out a bracket for the women’s tournament, which will be revealed in its entirety Friday. His Final Four picks on the women’s side are Baylor, UConn, Notre Dame and California.
|Judge rules NCAA can’t stop players from pursuing TV revenue||01.30.13 at 11:28 am ET|
A federal court judge ruled Tuesday that the NCAA can’t prevent football and men’s basketball players from pursuing a portion of their teams’ live broadcast revenues.
The NCAA had objected to the advancement of an antitrust lawsuit led by former UCLA basketball player Ed O’Bannon. The players wanted to amend that lawsuit last year to claim a share of all televised game revenues, not just revenue from rebroadcasts, and the NCAA moved to block that change.
The dismissal of that NCAA motion means that players could potentially gain a much greater share of revenue than previously possible if their lawsuit is successful. Since NCAA athletes aren’t treated as employees, they don’t have an organizing body to negotiate a share of revenue for themselves. The players involved in the suit are seeking to change their status through the means of class-action.
“Now the [NCAA and its co-defendants] are facing potential liability that’s based on the billions of dollars in revenue instead of tens or hundreds of millions,” said Michael Hausfeld, interim lead counsel for the plaintiffs. “It’s a more accurate context for what the players deserve.”
In a statement, NCAA general counsel Donald Remy took the opposite view, saying he sees the ruling as a partial victory for the NCAA.
“Although our motion to strike was denied, the judge has signaled skepticism on plaintiff’s class-certification motion and recognized the plaintiffs’ radical change in their theory of the case,” Remy said. “This is a step in the right direction toward allowing the NCAA to further demonstrate why this case is wrong on the law and that plaintiffs have failed to demonstrate that this case satisfies the criteria for class litigation.”
|NCAA approves changes to college basketball rules||05.27.11 at 9:57 am ET|
The NCAA’s Playing Rules Oversight Panel announced on Thursday a series of rules changes that had been approved three days earlier.
Future college basketball games will feature a protected arc three feet from the basket, similar to the four-foot arc that marks the restricted area on an NBA court. As with the NBA’s restricted areas, players will not be able to draw charges from within.
The panel also approved moving the women’s 3-point line to 20 feet, 9 inches, the same distance as in the men’s game. Women’s teams will also use a 10-second halfcourt rule during exhibition games next season.
In both the men’s and women’s game, intentional fouls will now be called Flagrant 1 fouls, and flagrant fouls will be called Flagrant 2. This matches the terminology used in the NBA.
- Mike on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- depo on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Jeter_Cheats on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Chris on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Herb on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- the truth on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- shutiggyupdotcom on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Otis on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Sicko on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- BillyB on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners