|Packers WR Donald Driver announces retirement||01.31.13 at 12:09 pm ET|
Packers four-time Pro Bowler Donald Driver has announced that he is retiring. The 14-year wide receiver revealed his decision on ESPN radio’s “Mike and Mike in the Morning” on Thursday.
“I’m going to officially put the cleats on the shelf,” Driver said. “I’m going to walk away from the game.”
Driver, who turns 38 on Saturday, was selected in the seventh round of the 1999 NFL draft out of Alcorn State. In his illustrious career, he set franchise records with 743 receptions and 10,137 receiving yards. He also retires with the third-most touchdown receptions (61) in team history. Perhaps most impressive is the fact that Driver played his entire 205-game career with one team and only missed four games.
“I played my entire career in Green Bay and have always enjoyed a special bond with the fans,” Driver said in a statement released by the team. “I can think of no better way to retire than to celebrate with them and the Packers organization.”
The Packers have announced that Driver will conduct a formal news conference at Lambeau Field next Wednesday at 11 a.m.
Driver, who won his first Super Bowl two years ago, now is ready to focus on his role as a family man.
“Someone is always going to be able to tell my kids that their dad was a great football player,” Driver said. “But no one will be able to tell my kids that their dad was a great dad and a great husband, so I have to be able to show them that.”
|Week 8 injury report: 49ers, Packers||10.31.10 at 3:19 pm ET|
San Francisco tight end Vernon Davis left the team’s game against the Broncos with an injured ankle. The return of the dynamic tight end is doubtful. Davis has been struggling with an ankle injury in recent weeks.
Starting quarterback Troy Smith was expected to rely on Davis heavily in his first start with the 49ers but the two only connected on one pass for 12 yards before Davis suffered the injury. Entering the game, Davis led the 49ers with 422 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns.
The Green Bay Packers have another injury to worry about. Donald Driver left the team’s Week 8 game against the Jets with a quad injury. Driver’s return is doubtful and the Packers could lose another key player in their offense. Driver has 28 receptions for 307 yards and three touchdowns on the season.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call