|Senators’ Erik Karlsson suffers Achilles laceration from skate of Penguins’ Matt Cooke||02.14.13 at 9:00 am ET|
Senators defenseman Erik Karlsson suffered a laceration to his left Achilles tendon that will require surgery and likely knock him out for the rest of the season. Karlsson, the 2012 Norris Trophy winner, was injured when Penguins forward Matt Cooke‘s skate caught his heel during a scrum on the boards late in the second period Wednesday night’s game in Pittsburgh.
Cooke, who has been suspended numerous times for illegal hits but vowed to change his ways more than a year ago, was not penalized on the play.
“Him and I were engaged and he went down screaming,” Cooke said. “I didn’t even know what happened. It’s a complete accident and obviously I feel terrible about it. It has happened a few times over the past couple of years and it’s scary.”
Senators general manager Bryan Murray apparently isn’t buying Cooke’s explanation.
“It’s Matt Cooke. What else should I say?” Murray said. “Watch the replay.”
The incident occurred seconds after the puck hit the protective netting behind the goal, but the officials missed it and let the play continue.
“We all know who’s involved in it,” Ottawa coach Paul MacLean said. “That’s just the way it is. The injury to Erik was unfortunate and it happens on a nothing play that could’ve potentially been whistled down.”
Senators forward Chris Neil went after Cooke late in the third period, and both players received game-ending misconduct penalties. The Penguins went on to take a 4-2 victory, with Cooke assisting on the game-winning goal by James Neal early in the third.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call