|Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Forbes values Bruins No. 5 in NHL at $348M||11.29.12 at 7:57 am ET|
THURSDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NFL: Saints at Falcons, 8:20 p.m. (NFL Network)
College football: Louisville at Rutgers, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN)
NBA: Spurs at Heat, 8 p.m. (TNT)
NBA: Nuggets at Warriors, 10:30 p.m. (TNT)
College basketball: Kentucky at Notre Dame, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: South Carolina at St. John’s, 7:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Marquette at Florida, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Seton Hall at LSU, 9:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Forbes magazine released its annual list of NHL team values, and it shows that the Maple Leafs are the first hockey team to break the $1 billion mark. The Bruins check in at No. 5, worth $348 million. The list also demonstrates hockey’s inequality, as the top five teams (Maple Leafs, Rangers, Canadiens, Blackhawks and Bruins) are valued at an average of $605 million, while the five least valuable (Hurricanes, Islanders, Blue Jackets, Coyotes and Blues) are worth an average of $145 million.
The study indicates that the three most profitable teams accounted for 83 percent of the league’s income, while 13 of the 30 teams lost money. Even if the salary cap were lowered to 50 percent and subsidies from high-revenue teams to their counterparts were boosted $50 million to $200 million, some of the less-successful teams would need to go deep into the playoffs to assure themselves of a profitable year.
The story quotes an industry analyst as suggesting the league move some of its southernmost teams to places such as Quebec, Seattle and Portland, Ore.
“The Sun Belt has had plenty of time prove that the viability doesn’t work,” said Drew Dorweiler of Montreal-based Dartmouth Partners.
♦ The Saints and Falcons, who meet Thursday night in Atlanta in an NFC South showdown, have a growing feud, and the intensity of it was in evidence Wednesday night. According to tweets from Saints players, the bus picking them up at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport had eggs thrown at it.
Tweeted backup quarterback Chase Daniel: Wow, as we’re boarding buses on the Tarmac @ Atlanta airport, we start getting eggs thrown @ us by airport workers! Guess they do hate us!
Added tight end Jimmy Graham: Bus just got egged after landing in ATL by the ramp workers. Classy! “RISE Up” smh
Some Saints players didn’t seem too offended. Tweeted linebacker Will Herring: First time my bus has been egged by opposing fans! Tomorrow should be fun!! #WhoDatNation
And wide receiver Joseph Morgan: How do eggs make people mad? Cool and hilarious prank #childhood #memories
♦ Lions defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh escaped a suspension for his kick to the groin of Texans quarterback Matt Schaub on Thanksgiving, but on Wednesday he was fined $30,000. Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league didn’t suspend Suh because it couldn’t determine intent, but the fine was for unnecessary roughness.
Suh, who has a history of violent play, was on the ground when he stuck out his foot and made contact with Schaub. He insists he did nothing wrong.
“I was dragged to the ground,” Suh said. “A lot of things happen to me. It’s part of the game.”
Added Suh: “It’s a crazy play, it’s one that unfortunately happened. I didn’t even realize it until the end of the game, when I see my Twitter feed, I see my friends telling me about it. Other than that, I can’t do much more about it. I was being dragged to the ground and my foot inadvertently hit the man. But it’s over with and I am moving forward and getting ready to play the Colts.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Nov. 29, 1965, the Red Sox lost three players in the Rule 5 draft: Gary Geiger to the Braves, Bob Heffner to the Indians, and which minor leaguer to the Cardinals who would return years later to manage the Sox?
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future