|Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni acknowledges, ‘We’re in trouble’||01.24.13 at 7:54 am ET|
THURSDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NBA: Knicks at Celtics, 8 p.m. (TNT; WEEI-FM)
NBA: Clippers at Suns, 10:30 p.m. (TNT)
College basketball: Purdue at Michigan, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: VCU at Richmond, 7 p.m. (CBSSN)
College basketball: Tennessee at Ole Miss, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Murray State at Tennessee Tech, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Wyoming at UNLV, 9 p.m. (CBSSN)
College basketball: UCLA at Arizona, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Stanford at Colorado, 10 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: BYU at Gonzaga, 11 p.m. (ESPN2)
NHL: Rangers at Flyers, 7 p.m. (NHL Network)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ The Lakers held a team meeting Wednesday, then went out and lost for the 10th time in 12 games, a 106-93 setback vs. the Grizzlies in Memphis.
“You never want those kind of meetings because we’re in trouble a little bit,” coach Mike D’Antoni said. “Things needed to be said and needed to happen. Now it’s up to us to make something positive out of it.”
According to the Los Angeles Times, during the meeting Kobe Bryant admitted to his teammates that he can be difficult to play with, and he asked Dwight Howard if had an issue with him. Howard apparently was hesitant to speak up.
“He didn’t go back at Kobe,” a source told the paper.
After the loss, D’Antoni said it’s not an issue of lack of effort by his players.
“I do think they play as hard as they can play, and that’s what’s scary,” D’Antoni said. “I mean I don’t know how we can play harder or blame something else. We just didn’t play well.”
Said forward Earl Clark: “It’s just the same thing over again. We broke down defensively. They went on a run, and we continue to just go downhill.”
♦ Former Cubs star Sammy Sosa, who received 12.5 percent of the votes for the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility this year, said he thinks he and fellow steroid-era home run legend Mark McGwire deserve enshrinement.
“I think so,” Sosa said in an interview on the website Ustream.com.
“I’m not going to come here an say anything that is going to jeopardize my future,” he added. “But definitely time will determine everything. Right now whatever it is, it is. I am not [somebody who] is going to go out there and say anything I don’t want to say. I’m waiting for my time. … I don’t like controversy. Definitely time will determine everything.”
Sosa, who finished his career with 609 home runs but reportedly tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, also sounded open to re-establishing a relationship with the Cubs, after leaving on bad terms after the 2004 season. Cubs president Tom Rickets said last weekend that the team might reach out to Sosa.
“They know where I am,” Sosa said. “If they want to find me, they have to call me. I’m always available.”
♦ Tennis player Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, a 27-year-old Frenchman, appeared before the media at the Australian Open press conference and stuck his foot in his mouth when asked about the inconsistency of the top women’s players.
“You know, the girls, they are more unstable emotionally than us,” he said. “I’m sure everybody will say it’s true, even the girls [laughter]. No? No, you don’t think?
“But I mean, it’s just about hormones and all this stuff. We don’t’ have all these bad things, so we are physically in a good shape every time, and you are not. That’s it.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Jan. 24, 1971, which Bruin was honored in a pregame ceremony before the B’s beat the Canadiens, 4-2, to extend their home winning streak to 15?
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’