|Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Jets teammates criticize Tim Tebow||11.14.12 at 7:57 am ET|
WEDNESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NBA: Jazz at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (CSNNE; WEEI-FM)
NBA: Grizzlies at Thunder, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
NBA: Heat at Clippers, 10:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Wisconsin at Florida, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: St. Bonaventure at Cornell, 7 p.m. (NBCSN)
College football: Ohio at Ball State, 8 p.m. (ESPNU)
College football: Toledo at Northern Illinois, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
AROUND THE WEB:
Sanchez’ backup, Tim Tebow, continues to see limited action, and that’s just fine with some anonymous Jets players, who criticized Tebow to the New York Daily News.
“He’s terrible,” a defensive starter said.
“We don’t look at him as a quarterback,” another starter said. “He’s the wildcat guy.”
Added a member of the team when asked who wants Tebow to be the starter: “Nobody.”
Steelers legend Terry Bradshaw agrees, as he called the Jets’ acquisition of the former Bronco a “huge mistake.”
“I don’t know him, but he just can’t play,” the Fox analyst said Tuesday on New York sports radio station WFAN, adding, “He is not a difference-maker by any stretch of the imagination.”
Bradshaw went on to say that the Jets should give Tebow some time because that would prove his point and quiet the fans.
“They created this monster and they’ve got to shut it up,” he said. “Now your season is shot, so what are you going to do? You know what? Put him in. I don’t think Mark would mind. Just put him in, let it go.”
Meanwhile, Eli Manning appeared to cross into “elite” territory last season with his second Super Bowl MVP performance, and he started this campaign strong. But in the Giants’ last four games, Manning has two touchdown passes vs. six interceptions, and he has no TD passes in his last three games.
“No, he is not one of the elites. Because when I hear the word ‘elite,’ I’m thinking about guys that can make unbelievable plays on the field by themselves,” CBS broadcaster (and former Giants QB) Phil Simms said on CBS Sports Network’s “NFL Monday Quarterback.”
“There are very few quarterbacks in that category. Yes, Eli has been a tremendous team player. He has been MVP of the Super Bowl twice. I know that. But the way I look at it, the answer is no.”
♦ Former Seahawks tight end Jeramy Stevens was released from jail Tuesday, a day after his arrest on charges that he assaulted U.S. women’s soccer goalie Hope Solo a day before they were planning to get married.
According to court documents, the 33-year-old Stevens and the 31-year-old Solo had been arguing over whether to live in Washington or Florida after their marriage.
Stevens was a first-round pick of the Seahawks in 2002, but his NFL career didn’t live up to expectations. He was arrested three times as a pro, most recently for possession of marijuana the night before a game in 2010 when he was playing for the Buccaneers, who subsequently released him.
♦ Grizzlies assistant general manager Kenny Williamson died early Tuesday morning of cancer, the team announced. Williamson, 65, a longtime college assistant coach, was in his sixth season with the Grizzlies.
“Anybody who has met him will never forget him,” general manager Chris Wallace said. “He was a big personality and extremely well respected, and about as well known as you can get in basketball circles — not only in this country but internationally.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Nov. 14, 1967, which Red Sox representative was named Major League Executive of the Year for helping put together the Impossible Dream team that reached the World Series?
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’