|Report: Jets QB Mark Sanchez likely to miss rest of season||09.12.13 at 12:22 pm ET|
After renowned sports physician Dr. James Andrews confirmed that Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez has a labrum tear in his right shoulder, sources close to both Sanchez and the Jets told ESPN that the 26-year-old quarterback is “likely to have surgery” and will miss the rest of the season.
However, Sanchez texted ESPN Wednesday night and called the report “reckless.”
“If I needed surgery right now, I never would have left Andrews’ office,” Sanchez wrote. “I would’ve stayed and got the surgery.”
While a labrum tear is not a career-ending injury, it does not simply heal on its own and requires surgery. Sanchez could decide to rehab his shoulder and attempt to play through the pain this year, but he would ultimately require surgery to fully repair the injury during the offseason.
According to ESPN’s sources, Sanchez is expected to make a decision regarding when to have surgery within the next few days.
Sanchez injured his shoulder on Aug. 24 during the Jets’ third preseason game against the Giants after being hit by defensive tackle Marvin Austin.
Jets coach Rex Ryan received flak in the days that followed Sanchez’s injury, as he rushed the quarterback in with 11 minutes remaining, with an inexperienced second-unit offensive line.
With Sanchez likely out for a significant amount of time, it seems like rookie Geno Smith will take on the role as Jets quarterback for the foreseeable future.
In the first start of his career last Sunday, Smith was solid, finishing the game 24-for-38 for 256 yards with one touchdown and one interception. Smith came up big for the Jets at the end of the game, leading his team on a fourth-quarter drive that set up a game-winning 48-yard field goal from Nick Folk to give New York a 18-17 win.
Smith will have a much tougher task on Thursday night, as he will face off against the Patriots at Gillette Stadium.
|Jets reportedly will explore trading Darrelle Revis||01.24.13 at 9:17 am ET|
Coming off their second consecutive season without a postseason berth, the Jets will explore options to deal star cornerback Darrelle Revis this offseason, according to a report from CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora.
Revis is set to earn $6 million in 2013. Jets owner Woody Johnson is said to have expressed desire to obtain value for Revis now, rather than risk losing him as an unrestricted free agent a year from now.
Revis recorded 11 tackles and one interception this season, playing in only two games before suffering a torn ACL. In his previous five seasons in the league, Revis only missed three games.
Revis is considered to be one of the best defenders in the entire NFL. If Revis were to be dealt, it would incur a $9 million cap hit due to some option-bonus prorations involved in the contract, thus Revis would count an additional $3 million against the cap than he currently scheduled. The Jets could get around this issue somewhat easily, according to the report, via a restructuring or by releasing a veteran.
|Jets coach Rex Ryan reportedly caused multi-car pileup last week||01.23.13 at 9:05 am ET|
This offseason just keeps getting worse for Jets coach Rex Ryan, who reportedly ran a red light and caused a three-car accident last week in Bethlehem, Pa.
Police said Ryan was driving his red Mustang through Bethlehem at 6:13 p.m. on Jan. 14 when he allegedly ran the light, crashing into another vehicle and in turn sending it into the third vehicle. Ryan reportedly denied he was speeding, but not that he ran the red light.
According to ESPN New York, Ryan received a written warning for the red light violation. Chief Jason Schiffer of the Bethlehem Police Department verified that there was a a warning issued and told Deadspin the crash is still under investigation.
Ryan has been in the news for a number of things this offseason following the Jets’ 6-10 finish, from the pressure on him to turn around a team in disarray to the fact that he has a tattoo of his wife wearing a Mark Sanchez jersey.
|Outgoing Jets special teams coach: Team mishandled Tim Tebow||01.11.13 at 1:57 pm ET|
Mike Westhoff, who left the Jets this month after serving as special teams coach for the last 12 years, criticized the team’s handling of backup quarterback Tim Tebow this season.
“It was a mess,” Westhoff said during an interview on the Joe Rose Show on Miami radio station WQAM. “It was an absolute mess. You can say it however else you want it: It was really a mess. I was very disappointed.”
Westhoff had praise for Tebow, and he couldn’t understand why the Jets didn’t use him in the role they envisioned when they acquired him the Broncos last offseason. Tebow played for Westhoff on special teams and saw limited duty in the wildcat, but Westhoff said the team never had Tebow practice doing anything creative with the offense.
“To be honest, I don’t think anybody has really answered that question: Why did we do it?” Westhoff said. “I honestly don’t know. I know we didn’t practice it. We didn’t practice it in training camp. We were going to unveil it. Well, I’m still waiting for the unveiling. And it didn’t happen.
“It’s very disappointing. But again, if you just say this is a quintessential NFL dropback quarterback, no he’s not. He’s just not. But if you use him a lot of different facets, in my opinion, I think he’s outstanding. If you do that. But we didn’t do it. And it was a distraction … and really a shame. Because that’s a hard-working young man if you ever saw one. Believe me.”
|More Jets turmoil: O-line coach says he’s being forced to play Vladimir Ducasse||11.30.12 at 1:26 pm ET|
Jets offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo said it hasn’t been his decision to play guard Vladimir Ducasse. And he doesn’t seem too happy about it.
“It’s directed from high above me,” DeGuglielmo said. “That’s something higher than me.”
Ducasse, a former UMass standout, was New York’s second-round pick in 2010. He’s been replacing Matt Slauson every third series.
“Nobody tells me directly where it’s coming from,” said DeGuglielmo, who grew up in Lexington, played football at Boston University and is in his first year coaching with the Jets. “I just get the word that this guy’s going in. Coordinator tells me what to do, I do it.”
Coach Rex Ryan later said he was the one allotting playing time for Ducasse. DeGuglielmo, however, didn’t seem too enthusiastic about the player.
“He’s played well enough to be an every third series guy,” DeGuglielmo said. “Maybe.”
Slauson, a 2009 sixth-round pick from Nebraska, is more DeGuglielmo’s style.
“Slauson is a big, tough, smart, strong kid,” the coach said. “That’s what he is. There are too few of those guys in the world.”
|Jets owner Woody Johnson: ‘We’re not happy with 3-6′||11.16.12 at 11:17 am ET|
Jets owner Woody Johnson is not happy with his team’s performance this season.
The Jets are just 3-6 and are coming off a dreary 28-7 loss against the Seahawks last Sunday.
“The record says what’s going on,” Johnson said Thursday. “We’re a 3-6 team. Are we happy? Are they happy? Are the players happy? I know the fans aren’t happy. The answer is no. We’re not happy. We’re not happy with 3-6.”
There has been speculation that Johnson was the key behind the offseason acquisition of Tim Tebow in an effort to get more interest in his team. Johnson said coach Rex Ryan, general manager Mike Tannenbaum, and offensive coordinator Tony Sparano made the decision to bring Tebow to the Jets.
“This, I really want to clear up,” Johnson said. “[The media has] been accusing me of this phony story of me being more concerned with [personal seat licenses] or cash or something else. Listen, my job 1, 2 and 3 is to win games. That’s why I got into football to begin with — to win games. … That’s what my passion is. That’s what I want to do. That’s why I’m spending all this time in this organization. It’s not to sell PSLs or to sell hot dogs.”
Johnson would not speak about any decisions regarding the future of Ryan or Tannenbaum, saying he does not address staffing decisions during the season.
“I didn’t sign up for a 3-6 season,” he said. “We haven’t had one of these in a while. I’m not happy about it, yet I am optimistic that some of these things can be corrected.”
The Jets will try to correct it Sunday when they take on the 3-5-1 Rams in St. Louis.
|Rex Ryan: Jets’ anonymous comments about Tim Tebow ‘a cowardly thing’||11.14.12 at 7:32 pm ET|
Rex Ryan addressed the Jets about a critical article that was published in Wednesday’s New York Daily News in which an anonymous player called Tim Tebow “terrible” and other unidentified players criticized the backup quarterback.
Ryan said he spoke to his team about the nameless comments made to the newspaper.
“If you’re going to make a negative comment, that’s fine,” Ryan said. “We never say that it always has to be a bed of roses. But again, put your name to it. I think people will respect you a lot more.”
Added Ryan: “Because I think it’s a cowardly thing. If you’re not going to put your name to it, I think that’s about as cowardly of a thing as there is.”
The 3-6 Jets have lost three straight, but Ryan is hopeful that incidents like this could bring stability to New York.
“I think this team is coming together,” Ryan said. “Could this galvanize it? I don’t know. Maybe so. This team, in my opinion, is not going to be pulled apart by outside people. I think inside the walls we are going to [close]. That’s what’s going to give us an opportunity. If I’m wrong on that, obviously that’s going to be a different issue. I don’t believe that. I believe this team is coming together. We’ll see if there’s no cracks in the armor or whatever, we’ll find that out. Maybe we’re not there right now, but I believe we will be.”
Ryan again made it clear that Tebow was brought in to be a backup.
“Tim Tebow came here to be the backup quarterback,” Ryan said. “We never brought him in here, to be the starting quarterback. We already had a starting quarterback in Mark Sanchez. I thought I was clear on that from the day we brought Tim in here. But what we were also clear on is that he’s a football player and we’re going to use him in different roles.”
Jets guard Matt Slauson went on the record in the article stating that Sanchez far outplayed Tebow, and Ryan wasn’t upset with Slauson.
“I have no problem with Matt Slauson because he put his name on it,” Ryan said. “I don’t agree with everything Matt said. I agree with the fact that we have a starting quarterback. And we’re confident in — and Matt’s obviously confident in — Mark Sanchez.”
This will make things interesting as the Jets head to St. Louis to take on the Rams this Sunday.
|Jets’ Darrelle Revis says he will return to ‘doing what I do best’ after ACL surgery||10.15.12 at 1:21 pm ET|
Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis made his first public comments since his Sept. 23 injury and said he was confident he would return as a dominant player after recovering from ACL surgery that is scheduled for Wednesday.
Revis was injured with four minutes left in the third quarter of the Jets’ 23-20 overtime win in Miami on Sept. 23. In an interview with the New York Daily News, Revis said “there’s no question that I [will] be back to where I was in the previous years of performing and doing what I do best.”
Added Revis: “If everything goes right and I do everything right with this procedure and this process for the next four to six months, yeah. … I’m a confident player. I never had an injury like this. This is all new for me as well. But, yeah, I’m a hard worker. I know I’m going to work my butt off and get back to where I need to be.”
Revis consulted with other NFL players who have returned from ACL injuries including Adrian Peterson, Jamaal Charles and teammate Antonio Cromartie. Revis has been doing exercises to strengthen the muscles around the ACL already. His return timetable is six to nine months.
“I just want to get back as fast as possible where I feel comfortable [to go] out there and play like I usually do,” Revis said. “I think that’s the biggest goal. If I don’t feel ready … time will tell. We really don’t know. As soon as I feel 100 percent, I’ll be ready to go whether that’s January, February, March … it doesn’t matter.”
|Jets to stick with Mark Sanchez at QB||10.10.12 at 3:16 pm ET|
It still isn’t Tebow time, according to Jets coach Rex Ryan. The 2-3 Jets look to rebound this week against the Colts and will continue to start quarterback Mark Sanchez.
“Yeah, no question,” Ryan told reporters Tuesday on a conference call when asked if he’s sticking with Sanchez.
“I think when you look at it [Monday] night I thought he played pretty good,” Ryan said. “I think he was accurate with the football.’’
Sanchez was off to a promising start in Week 1 against the Bills when he completed 19-of-27 passes for 266 yards, but he has been terrible since. He’s completed just 44 percent of his passes since Week 2 and thrown three touchdowns and five interceptions.
Team owner Woody Johnson said Sanchez “played great” in Monday night’s loss to the Texans. He said he had not discussed a change of quarterbacks with Ryan.
Johnson also confirmed that the Jets would keep Tim Tebow for the duration of his three-year contract. Tebow hasn’t been used much by the Jets. He was on the field for just seven offensive snaps Monday.
The Jets play rookie quarterback Andrew Luck and the Colts at home this week. They’ll head to New England for a game and then play the Dolphins at home before a bye week.
|Holley Mangold finishes 10th in Olympic weightlifting with brother Nick in attendance||08.06.12 at 10:37 am ET|
Jets All-Pro center Nick Mangold joined 13 of his family members in London on Sunday to cheer for his younger sister, Olympic weightlifter, Holley Mangold, on her way to a 10th place finish.
At 22 years old, the younger Mangold is still a relative newcomer to the sport, so even qualifying for the Olympics impressed her older brother.
“The fact that she has only been doing this for a handful of years and here she is on a world stage at the Olympics competing — I think that’s fantastic,” Mangold told the AP.
Holley, who struggled throughout the competition with various injuries, including a torn tendon in her hand, lifted 105 kilograms in the snatch and 135 kilograms in the clean and jerk for a total of 240 kilograms, or 529 pounds. Impressive, sure, but still 30 pounds below her personal best.
“About two days before I left for London, I tore a tendon in my hand catching the clean wrong, and I think I retore it again today,” she said.
With Holley’s competition over, big brother Nick is reportedly on his way back to Jets training camp Monday morning.
- 3A on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Broncos WR Wes Welker suffers second concussion in 4 weeks
- Mike on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Broncos WR Wes Welker suffers second concussion in 4 weeks
- Tony on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Mike on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- depo on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Jeter_Cheats on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Chris on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Herb on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- the truth on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- shutiggyupdotcom on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners