|Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger’s rib injury could be life-threatening||11.14.12 at 2:54 pm ET|
Ben Roethlisberger’s shoulder sprain might be the least of his worries.
The Steelers quarterback said Wednesday he also dislocated a rib while getting sacked in the third quarter of Monday night’s win against the Chiefs. Roethlisberger sprained a joint in his shoulder on the play but says the rib issue is a bigger concern.
Roethlisberger said doctors are concerned his rib could cut into his aorta. Roethlisberger told an NFL Network reporter that he was experiencing pain at a 9 on a 1-10 scale.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reporter Ed Bouchette tweeted the injury could have killed Roethlisberger.
He has been ruled out of Sunday’s game against the Ravens. Backup Byron Leftwich will start in his place.
Roethlisberger was having a great year, with 17 touchdowns and just four interceptions.
There is no timetable for his return.
|Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger wants to play Sunday||12.30.11 at 9:20 am ET|
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, still on the mend from a sprained ankle, said that he’ll do his best to be on the field Sunday in the team’s regular-season finale against the Browns.
“As long as I can deal with pain, I’ll be out there,” Roethlisberger said Thursday. “I don’t want to let the guys down, so I’ll do what I can to be out there.”
Pittsburgh has clinched a playoff berth and remains in the hunt for a division title and the No. 1 seed in the AFC (that would take losses by the Ravens and Patriots).
Roethlisberger missed last week’s game, a win over the Rams. Backup Charlie Batch started for the Steelers after Roethlisberger looked shaky a week earlier against the 49ers, a 20-3 loss in which Roethlisberger threw three interceptions.
Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said he was “much more” confident in Roethlisberger after seeing him practice Thursday, but he doesn’t want to rush the QB back.
“I want him out there but not at the risk of injuring himself,” Arians said. “If he can’t move around and get out of the way, there’s no sense in getting him out there.”
|Report: Steelers’ Byron Leftwich, Maurkice Pouncey injured in third preseason game||08.28.11 at 6:08 pm ET|
Steelers starting center Maurkice Pouncey and backup quarterback Byron Leftwich were both injured in Saturday’s third preseason game. Pouncey suffered a sprained ankle but is not expected to miss any regular-season games. Leftwich broke his arm, however, and is expected to miss the entire season.
Pouncey is coming off a rookie 2010 season in which the Steelers reached their third Super Bowl since 2005, although they lost to the Green Bay Packers. Pouncey was selected for the Pro Bowl.
Leftwich, on the other hand, has only played in four games over the last two seasons. His loss only means the Steelers will need to keep longtime backup Charlie Batch on the roster. Batch completed 2-of-4 passes during Week 1 of the preseason but has not played since. Batch has passed for a career 10,402 yards, 60 touchdowns and 47 interceptions, and rushed for 639 yards and six touchdowns. He has a career QB rating of 77.9.
|Jericho Cotchery: ‘I didn’t really see myself fitting in’ with Jets||08.14.11 at 6:45 pm ET|
Steelers wide receiver Jericho Cotchery has quickly changed allegiances now that he’s no longer a Jet.
“It was time for a change of scenery,” Cotchery told Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “I didn’t really see myself fitting in.”
Cotchery also said he believes the Steelers are “a Super Bowl contender,” according to the Tribune-Review’s Gerry Dulac. Whether that means he did not think the Jets were a Super Bowl contender was never addressed.
Cotchery added that the player-development “atmosphere” in Pittsburgh is ideal for him.
“The way they handle their guys over here, it’s something I need at this time,” Cotchery said. “It’s the best atmosphere for me to thrive in as a player and as a person.”
|Report: Steelers LB LaMarr Woodley signs six-year, $61.5 million contract||08.05.11 at 10:31 am ET|
A source close to negotiations told ESPN Insider Adam Schefter Friday morning that Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley has signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract. The deal makes Woodley the second-highest paid player in Steelers history, behind only quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who signed an eight-year, $102 million contract in 2008.
Woodley will make $18.1 million in his first year, and $27 million over the first two.
Woodley has averaged nearly 10 sacks per season over the first four years of his NFL career. He was named to the Pro Bowl in 2009, when he set career-highs in sacks (13.5), solo tackles (50) and total tackles (62).
Woodley recorded 10 sacks and 50 tackles (35 solo) during the 2010-11 season. He also recorded one sack in each of Pittsburgh’s three playoff games, including Super Bowl XLV. He forced three fumbles, recovered two and scored his first touchdown, on a Week 14 interception against the Bengals.
|Tiki Barber: ‘I’m on a [expletive] mission of redemption’||06.18.11 at 1:41 pm ET|
Former Giants running back and NBC analyst Tiki Barber seems intent on making a return to the NFL. The 36-year-old reportedly texted his agent, Mark Lepselter, “I’m on a [expletive] mission of redemption.”
Barber announced his plans to return back in March, citing inspiration from friends and coaches who encouraged him during last year’s Super Bowl. The running back expressed interest in the Steelers, but the feeling wasn’t mutual.
Barber retired in 2006 as the Giants all-time rushing and reception leader, a year before New York won the Super Bowl.
|Report: Steelers QB Charlie Batch goes bankrupt over bakery||06.10.11 at 10:58 am ET|
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Friday that Steelers backup quarterback Charlie Batch has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection, with debts exceeding his available assets by $6 million.
The Post-Gazette wrote that most of Batch’s debts were a result of bad business ventures, including real estate company Batch Development Co., Courtland Place LLC, and Kings Bakery LLC.
Batch will keep his Franklin Park, Pa., home, and his two Super Bowl rings, but will lose his Michigan home to foreclosure.
In a related post, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote Friday that 27 properties from Batch Development Co. cost $8,500 more to maintain than they generated in rent in May.
|Steelers WR Hines Ward says he’ll play Sunday||11.15.10 at 11:23 am ET|
Shortly after he was knocked out of Sunday night’s contest against the Patriots with a concussion, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that he would be ready to play in this coming Sunday’s game against the Raiders. In fact, Ward believes he could have returned to the game vs. the Patriots, but the team’s medical personnel wouldn’t allow him.
“I felt like I could have played but our [doctors] felt otherwise,” the 13-year old veteran said. “It’s my body. I feel like if I want to go back out there I should have the right. They saw me tripping over the grass and the league was going to make a big deal about it, them putting me back out there.”
Ward was injured on a 5-yard catch after he took a shot to the head from safety James Sanders to end the first quarter. The play was originally ruled a completed pass but was overturned following a Patriots challenge. Consequently, Ward left the contest with no catches, snapping his streak of regular-season games with at least one catch at 186.
“I’m a competitor and I want to be out there, especially against the New England Patriots,” Ward said. ”I worked my tail off all week to get in that position and I got dinged up.”
Though he believes he could have returned Sunday night, Ward will still have to pass multiple cognitive tests this week before he is cleared to play against the Raiders.
|Three Steelers suffer concussions against Bengals||11.09.10 at 4:12 pm ET|
Steelers running backs Mewelde Moore, Isaac Redman and safety Will Allen, all sustained concussions Monday night. The three players will not be cleared to play against the Patriots Sunday night, unless they can pass post-concussion tests.
Head injuries were just the beginning for the Steelers, who also saw three offensive lineman injured against the Bengals. Left guard Chris Komoeatu sprained his right knee and could be limited in practice this week.
“We’ll see if we can get him going, get him enough snaps in preparation to be available to us,” coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday.
Center Maurice Pouncey and left tackle Max Starks also sustained injuries. The Steelers had Tuesday off and will be back to practice on Wednesday.
|Steelers linebacker James Harrison fined for third time for hard hit||11.04.10 at 4:01 pm ET|
Steelers linebacker James Harrison, who was fined $75,000 just a few weeks ago for a hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, was handed another fine by the NFL this week, this time $20,000, after a late hit on Saints quarterback Drew Brees in Sunday night’s game in New Orleans, ESPN.com reports.
Harrison, who contemplated retirement after the NFL implemented its new policy change on hard hits, has been fined a total of $100,000 this season for hard or late hits. The latest fine was given to Harrison just two days after he met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in New York , a meeting in which he said was “semi-productive.”
Harrison’s first fine this season stemmed from a hard hit on Titans quarterback Vince Young in a game on Sept. 19.
- Mike on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- depo on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Jeter_Cheats on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Chris on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Herb on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- the truth on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- shutiggyupdotcom on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Otis on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Sicko on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- BillyB on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners