|Friday’s Morning Mashup: Giants coach Tom Coughlin in ‘indescribable’ pain over missing playoffs||01.04.13 at 7:32 am ET|
FRIDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NBA: Pacers at Celtics, 8 p.m. (CSNNE; WEEI-FM)
NBA: Bulls at Heat, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
NBA: Lakers at Clippers, 10:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Cleveland State at Valparaiso, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Memphis at Tennessee, 8 p.m. (ESPN2)
College football: Cotton Bowl, Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma, 8 p.m. (Fox; WEEI-AM)
College hockey: Dartmouth at Quinnipiac, 7 p.m. (NESN)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ While Jets coach Rex Ryan tried to escape the media in the Bahamas (and was photographed displaying an arm tattoo of his wife wearing only a Mark Sanchez Jets jersey), Giants coach Tom Coughlin talked Thursday about how distraught he is over his team missing the playoffs.
“I can’t even describe how it hurts. I don’t know what to do,” Coughlin said in an interview on New York sports radio station WFAN. “I’m walking around here like a crazy man. I am. I don’t know what to do with myself. We shouldn’t be doing this right now. The pain of it is almost indescribable.”
The defending Super Bowl champions lost five of their final eight games to squander their chance to defend their title.
“For us, right now, to not be in the playoffs; to be the Super Bowl champion and not be in the playoffs, if that doesn’t bring you down to earth and create the kind of humility that comes along with getting your nose back to the grindstone, I don’t know what does,” Coughlin said.
♦ The baseball field carved into a cornfield at an Iowa farm for the 1989 movie “Field of Dreams” was sold last week for $3.4 million to an investment group out of Chicago that includes Hall of Famer Wade Boggs.
An estimated 65,000 tourists travel to Dyersville, Iowa, each year to see the field. The new ownership group, which goes by the name of Go the Distance Baseball LLC and is led by CEO Denise Stillman, plans to develop the complex into 24 youth baseball and softball fields ad call it All-Star Ballpark Heaven.
Don and Becky Lansing put the 193-acre property on sale a couple of years ago, asking $5.4 million.
“My family’s farm has been part of the landscape for more than a century,” Don Lansing said in a statement. “I have been honored to care for it my entire life and know the Stillmans and their group will care for the movie site like I did.”
♦ The 9-year-old Utah girl who became an Internet sensation after highlights of her dominating boys in youth games hit the web was invited by the NFL to attend this year’s Super Bowl in New Orleans. Sam Gordon already attended a Giants game in New York with commissioner Roger Goodell, and now she’s receiving tickets to the title game.
“I think it’s going to be really cool,” Gordon said. “Plus, I get to sit next to the NFL commissioner, maybe.”
Gordon’s father, Brent, said the family saw Goodell the day after the Giants game while touring the NFL offices, and the commissioner hinted what was to come.
“As we were leaving, Roger Goodell walked in and said, ‘Sam, would you like to go to the Super Bowl? Well, maybe you should ask Santa Claus,’ ” Brent Gordon said.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Jan. 4, 1985, the Celtics honored Red Auerbach by retiring which number?
- 3A on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Broncos WR Wes Welker suffers second concussion in 4 weeks
- Mike on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Broncos WR Wes Welker suffers second concussion in 4 weeks
- Tony on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Mike on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- depo on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Jeter_Cheats on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Chris on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- Herb on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- the truth on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners
- shutiggyupdotcom on Reports: Robinson Cano agrees to 10-year, $240M deal with Mariners