|Oilers’ Taylor Hall to have disciplinary hearing for hit on Cal Clutterbuck||02.22.13 at 10:53 am ET|
Oilers forward Taylor Hall will face a disciplinary hearing after his knee-on-knee hit against Minnesota’s Cal Clutterbuck during Thursday’s game.
Hall was ejected from the game, which the Wild won 3-1, for kneeing on a play near the end of the game. The play will be reviewed for kneeing and clipping.
“If that’s not a suspension, I don’t know what is,” said Wild forward Devin Setoguchi.
Hall disagreed, saying he didn’t think he made contact with Clutterbuck’s knee.
“I really didn’t feel like it was knee-on-knee at all,” he said. “I thought I got him with hip or torso area. It was a weird play.”
Wild coach Mike Yeo said after the game that he wasn’t sure yet of the extent of Clutterbuck’s injury.
|Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Rangers coach John Tortorella critical of owner James Dolan’s optimistic talk||01.18.12 at 7:40 am ET|
WEDNESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NBA: Raptors at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (NESN)
NBA: Mavericks at Clippers, 10:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Cincinnati at UConn, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Clemson at Miami, 7 p.m. (NESN)
College basketball: Texas at Kansas State, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Rangers coach John Tortorella is known for speaking his mind and not backing down to anyone, and apparently it doesn’t matter even when dealing with the team’s owner. After James Dolan told the media Tuesday that the first-place Rangers were “pretty close” to winning a Stanley Cup, Tortorella called out his boss.
“Right now up to this point we’ve done a pretty good job — we just have to go about our business,” Tortorella said after the Rangers shut out the Predators, 3-0, and Dolan had left the room on Madison Square Garden’s fifth floor. “Like I have my owner up here talking about a Stanley Cup. That’s a bunch of bull—-. We need to take one game at a time.”
♦ Oilers forward Taylor Hall slipped on a puck during pregame warmups Tuesday night and ended up colliding with two teammates and getting a skate across his face. Hall, who was not wearing a helmet, was taken to a hospital for stitches above his eye. The No. 1 pick in 2010, Hall was taken one spot before the Bruins grabbed Tyler Seguin. Hall has scored six goals in his past nine games.
“This is one of those fluky things. It just happens,” Oilers coach Tom Renney said. “Not much we can do about it.”
♦ A man was shot and killed at a restaurant inside a Vancouver hotel where the U.S. women’s soccer team is staying as they compete in an Olympic qualifying tournament. A team spokesman said no players witnessed the shooting.
Tweeted goalie Hope Solo: Saved by our instant yoga session. Was about to walk to starbucks when all hell broke loose in the lobby of our hotel! Life is precious…
♦ Former Titans coach Jeff Fisher, named last week as coach of the Rams, was first at the scene of a serious car crash Sunday in Brentwood, Tenn., and aided two injured teenagers until medical personnel arrived. On a 911 tape, a woman who called for help can be heard recognizing Fisher. “Hi, coach Fisher. Hi. We need you. Right now!” she said. “There’s coach Fisher. That’s Jeff Fisher, from the Titans. So hold on. We need him. Immediately.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Jan. 18, 1973, the Red Sox signed their first designated hitter, with the position set to debut that season. Which veteran was obtained to fill that role?
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future