|Friday’s Morning Mashup: Antonio Cromartie, Rex Ryan predict Jets will make playoffs||11.09.12 at 7:57 am ET|
FRIDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NBA: 76ers at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (CSNNE; WEEI-FM)
NBA: Jazz at Nuggets, 10:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College football: Pittsburgh at UConn, 8 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Michigan State vs. UConn, at Germany, 5:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Marquette vs. Ohio State, at Charleston, S.C., 7 p.m. (NBCSN)
College basketball: Georgia State at Duke, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Kentucky vs. Maryland, at Brooklyn, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Florida vs. Georgetown, at Jacksonville, Fla., 9 p.m. (NBCSN)
College basketball: South Dakota State at Alabama, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ It’s been a difficult season for the Jets, who sit at 3-5, but cornerback Antonio Cromartie remains confident in his team and his coach, who earlier this week was named most overrated coach in a poll of NFL players.
“The Jets will make the playoffs this year,” Cromartie said on the NFL Network. “We believe in each other. We believe in … coach [Rex] Ryan and his staff. … So, we definitely are going to make the playoffs this year.”
Six of the Jets’ eight remaining games are against teams that are .500 or less, so perhaps that gives them reason to believe. Whatever the reason, Ryan supports Cromartie’s approach.
“I feel that as an entire football team that we should all feel like that,” Ryan said. “And I think we do feel like that. Nobody wants to hear it, but who cares? That’s really how we feel. Whether you like it or not, that’s our mentality. I would think the Jets fans … would want us to feel that way. And we do.”
♦ After Lakers practice on Thursday, Kobe Bryant was asked about the frustration he showed in Wednesday night’s loss to the Jazz. During that game Bryant outwardly displayed his anger on a number of occasions, leading some to speculate that he’s losing patience with his teammates and/or coach.
Said Bryant: “I don’t give a [expletive] how it’s interpreted. I’m too old to deal with that stuff. I really am.”
In a lighter moment, Bryant smiled when showed video of his now-infamous “death stare” toward coach Mike Brown from the bench at the end of Wednesday’s game.
♦ Lions defensive end Ndamukong Suh was voted the dirtiest player in the NFL by his peers for the second year in a row. The Sporting News conducted the midseason poll of 103 players, and Suh was No. 1 with 32 votes despite generally staying out of trouble this season.
Following Suh in the ranking was Dolphins guard Richie Incognito, Rams cornerback Cortland Finnegan, Steelers linebacker James Harrison and Titans offensive tackle David Stewart.
♦ A walk-on freshman defensive back at Tennessee State collapsed during practice Wednesday and was declared dead after being taken to a hospital.
William Wayne Jones III collapsed after catching a ball and throwing it to defensive backs coach Ed Sanders. The 19-year-old had no pulse when trainers attended to him.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Nov. 9, 1972, in an 8-3 victory over the Red Wings at Boston Garden, which Bruin became the seventh player in NHL history to record 1,000 career points?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I’m going to look at things differently. I may be young and wild, but I’m not. I’m engaged now. I have a baby, so it’s just going make me think of life a lot differently, and doing things the right way because now another one’s looking up to me. I just can’t be young and reckless Aaron no more.” – Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez
STAT OF THE DAY: 153-44 – The count by which the Jaguars have been outscored in five home games this season, following Thursday’s 27-10 loss to the Colts
‘NET RESULTS: A girls high school volleyball player in Iowa takes out two people on one spike. Her blast catches an opponent in the face, and the ball then bounces to the sideline and trips up a fan walking by.
Former child actor Emmanuel Lewis (“Webster”) takes on Falcons linebacker Stephen Nicholas in a dance-off during a team fundraising event.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Johnny Bucyk
SOOTHING SOUNDS: The late Mary Travers, of Peter, Paul and Mary, was born on this date in 1936.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’